Sage is a native herb in Europe, but it grows anywhere easily. It is in a form of fine stalk with grayish green leaves and violet flower. It has been considered as sacred and was used for treating different health conditions and diseases. This is due to its bitter compounds, saponins, antibacterial enzymes, estrogen, vitamin B and C, essential oils, potassium, and other minerals. There are 4 types of it.
Health benefits of sage:
- Relieve fatigue;
- Improve circulation;
- Balance the nervous system;
- Regulate blood sugar levels;
- Relieves menopausal symptoms;
- Relieves digestive issues like diarrhea;
- Provides mighty astringent properties;
- Combats anemia;
- Cures many oral issues;
- Treats fluid retention and cystitis;
- Protects vaginal mucosa;
- Heals sores and ulcers;
- Relieves menstrual symptoms;
- Provides anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
Sage can help you in:
- Treating excessive sweating – soak 50 gr of dried sage in ½ liter of 70% alcohol. Let it stay for a week and shake it occasionally each day. When it is ready, take 50 drops of it daily.
- Fighting arthritis – rub the joints with sage essential oil in order to treat the symptoms and relieve the pain.
- Treating nervous system disorders and gynecological issues – get 4 gr of dried sage and place it into a cup of boiling water. Let it cool and drink the tea.
- Accelerating the process of wound healing – mix honey and sage tincture, applying it on wounds.
- Treating gum and throat issues – make a sage tea and let it cool down. Gargle it 3 times per day in order to remove throat infections and gum diseases.
- Helping with skin fungal infections – soak in sage bath 2-3 times per week.
- Cleaning wounds – take 3 cups of boiling water and pour them over 3 tsp of dried sage. Let it cool down and drink 3 cups of it daily.
- Treating paralysis and rheumatism – soak in a bathtub of hot water and 2 handfuls of sage leaves for 15 minutes, 2-3 times a week.
NOTE: do NOT use sage during the first trimester of pregnancy because it can damage the health of the baby. Also, those who are breastfeeding should AVOID using it as it inhibits milk production. And those who suffer from kidney failure need to KEEP AWAY from it.